What is SELFIE?
SELFIE is a free, online tool to help schools assess how they use digital technologies for innovative and effective learning. With SELFIE, schools can take a snapshot of where they stand in their use of digital technologies, taking on board views of teachers, students and school leaders. This self-assessment process can help start a dialogue within the school on potential areas for improvement. SELFIE also allows a school to monitor its progress over time.
What does SELFIE measure?
Through a series of questions for teachers, school leaders and students, SELFIE measures the way digital technologies are used for teaching and learning at your school. Questions for school leaders focus mainly on strategies and practices at school level related to the use of digital technologies. The questions for teachers are to mainly capture teaching practices and for students their experience and learning practices related to the use of digital technologies.Schools can customise the tool by adding questions that suit their context.
Who is behind SELFIE?
SELFIE has been developed by the European Commission together with a panel of education experts and practitioners from European countries. More than 67000 school leaders, teachers and students across Europe tested the beta version of the tool in late 2017.
- SELFIE is a tool for the school only, no personal data is collected.
- All answers provided through SELFIE are anonymous. Individual students, teachers, school leaders or other staff members replying to the questions and statements cannot be identified personally.
- Each school is the owner of its SELFIE report, which is not shared with others unless the school chooses to do so.
- No other organisation, including the European Commission, can track the answers for an individual school.
- SELFIE is hosted on a server owned and managed by the European Commission and data gathered is subject to the Commission’s data processing rules.
- The anonymised and aggregated data can be used for policy and research purposes only and never for commercial purposes.
Here you can read the full SELFIE privacy statement.
Want to find more about SELFIE?
Find out more about SELFIE in its portal.